PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z exhaust gasket

JohnBeton
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello,

Does a Tri-Z have 2 exhaust gaskets between the pipe and the cilinder ?
In the new gasket set I bought is one exhaust gasket, it is a small ring, but the pipe has some play on the cilinder.
In the manual I notice on the part scheme another gasket but it isn't in the set and I can't remember it was on there before, or I lost it ...

clutchcargo
08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, there is one ring gasket that goes between the pipe and the cylinder and another sleeve type piece that goes on the cylinder. It is notched all the way around and sort of snaps onto the cylinder. I do believe they are sold separately.
Personally, I think they seal like crap. You may end up sealing it up with a high heat gasket material when your done anyway.

JohnBeton
08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
i tried using sealant, but there is too much play between cilinder and pipe, probably combining the gasket and sealant is the best way to seal it.

clutchcargo
08-12-2009, 07:52 PM
That probably is your best bet. I have both metal seals on mine with sealer and it works well. The metal seal that you are missing fills in the space so it's not so sloppy. There is or was some exhaust pipe sealer called "chamber seal" made just for this purpose, but I have yet to find it. It's kinda like tape that expands when it gets hot. Maybe you'll have some luck.

gutterworks129
08-13-2009, 08:35 AM
I use the metal gasket which is sold at the dealer for like $25.00. I tried this exhaust sealant tape and cut it to fit. It worked better than not using it but still had leakage! All my Tri-Z leak crap out and power.