PDA

View Full Version : Why do people Spray Bomb?

Tri-Z 250
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Man I'm fed up with stupid people who spray bomb for Ebay / Craig's photo ads. I am still amazed people are able to take crappy photos with digital equipment. I really am fed up with the SPRAY BOMB dude. I've looked at many 3 wheelers in my time...Heck if I see one I stop everytime...even if I'm not buying that exact trike. The worst encounter for me is dude who has a rare 3wheeler. I should say what he's been told is a rare trike. Dude rides the bearings and brakes ect into the ground...has $10bucks to his name to repair the machine for his top dollar sale via the web. $7.65 for the 12pk and the rest in frame/motor spray paint. With 6 down he begings his restoration....No cardboard needed tape if for retards and pull bolts requires tools....Which Spray Bomb has none to his name....When you point out the test ride just indangered your life by pointing out the loose neck, and the eazy breeze swinger is shot. Not to mention the chain and pizza cutter collection turning the wheels coated in axle grease.....The over spray is enough to blow my stack....Why would you touch it up? Look if you want collector type money let me break it down for ya
1. anything running - $500
2. mecanically sound ruff plastic org paint no touch ups - $800
3. Everything is rebuilt NOS and Factory + aftermarket mint - $1000
4. Mint Org...low hours with factory tires with title....you can name your own price

I look at it like antique dresser sets on the road show...org with blemish rust...holds more value than a Spray Bomb resto.....Steam Out, thanks for the vent!

3Razors
08-11-2009, 06:04 PM
The spray bomb goons have bugged me forever. Its amazing how people think they are upgrading the bike by spraying on the plastic, wires, lights, even dirt. Oh and also they seem to be attracted to the black color of paint.

Lukeatc185
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
spray paint is decent if you prep right. but plastics are a given.. it never works. but i spray painted my stock muffler with high heat engine spray paint. it looks great.

3Razors
08-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree spray paint done right can look really good. If you take the parts off and prep them right ect. But when you get some squid who doesn't even wash the bike and paints the whole thing its atrocious. I see trikes on craigslist all the time and the people have spray bombed the ENTIRE bike black! I mean everything, seat, lights, tires, you name it.

Macs
08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
They spray bomb it cause it is stolen.

There is a big diffrence between spray bombing and painting. If you prep, prime and paint like edog. That is called painting. If you grab a can of krylon from the garage and just spray everyhting in sight, that is spray bombing. Basically a 1/4 stick of dynamite taped to a spray can, hence the term.

daniel_250r
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
i painted my battery box because it was starting to rot, but i took the time to sand blast it and prime it, i can understand if its to save a badly rusted part, but i will take an original rusty bike over a rattle can restore any day

Yamahondaman
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
but i will take an original rusty bike over a rattle can restore any day

HA HA .. LMAO !!! :D :Bounce :beer

PaTriker
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Why does it bother you guys so much what people do to their trikes? Its theirs, so what. They aren't making you buy it. Its just like people that put A1 sauce on a nice steak.

Mosh
08-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Why do people Spray Bomb?

Because when done in a enclosed area, one can become some dillusional, that the more he sprays the better it looks as the fumes set in....
It isnt until the garage door opens and the end result falls on sober eyes, that the debatchery becomes evident....LMAO

In all honesty, I have been guilty of it, but I at least took time to prep and it holds up fairly decent for a trail rider/ racer..
But I also kept the room well ventilated..

dcreel
08-14-2009, 10:36 PM
What pisses me off is someone asking $1500 for a 3 wheeler they (or car) they couldn't even take the time to wash before pictures.

jeffatc250r
08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Who cares. Like a friend of mine says, "Theres an ass for every seat"

Saul
08-14-2009, 11:13 PM
I close all the windows and doors before I start spray bombing. You just have to remember to breathe really heavy while you paint. The more paint you use the less rust you see. The more paint you use the faster the trike becomes. A couple hours later your sitting on the bike in your sealed garage - running the engine - still taking deep huffs. Your dog is barking at you - you fall on the floor and a fit of laughter takes you over. The next morning you wake up, still on the garage floor, dog licking your face. The paint has dried now. Time to ride!

Thorpe
08-14-2009, 11:35 PM
People spray bomb because it goes hand in hand with JB Weld!

Jim mac
08-15-2009, 12:16 AM
people spray bomb because they dont have a compressor, HVLP gun, watertrap, breathing equipment to do it right. If you want it to look better than all rusted etc. and you know you dont have the equipment or the money to have it painted (which you'll end up upside down financially real quick), just grab a can of krylon and to to town. Yes, after its all done, it probably looks worse off. But you live and learn.
Now that said. I will admit to worse! We were going to take my elcamino I just got together to the track the next day. The truck is in about 6 different colors of paint. I didnt want to spend 40 bucks on a bunch of spray primer. So I masked the chrome and glass, and ROLLED it with rustoleum primer! At least its all one color and from the stands it looks okay. Besides most of the test and tunes happen at night anyway. Pic included

rachel
08-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Jim mac- did you ever own a '68 Cougar??
My old Cougar had paint that looked rolled on... just wondering ;)

greythorn3
08-15-2009, 03:28 AM
i think my spraybombed engine came out wonderful! :w00t:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2292/atc005.jpg (http://img504.imageshack.us/i/atc005.jpg/)

Erics350x
08-15-2009, 09:41 AM
people spray bomb because they dont have a compressor, HVLP gun, watertrap, breathing equipment to do it right. If you want it to look better than all rusted etc. and you know you dont have the equipment or the money to have it painted (which you'll end up upside down financially real quick), just grab a can of krylon and to to town. Yes, after its all done, it probably looks worse off. But you live and learn.
Now that said. I will admit to worse! We were going to take my elcamino I just got together to the track the next day. The truck is in about 6 different colors of paint. I didnt want to spend 40 bucks on a bunch of spray primer. So I masked the chrome and glass, and ROLLED it with rustoleum primer! At least its all one color and from the stands it looks okay. Besides most of the test and tunes happen at night anyway. Pic included

You just doubled the cost if you pay someone to paint that thing later. A gallon of auto primer is only like $30 and a cheap spray gun is about $20.

Erics350x
08-15-2009, 09:43 AM
i think my spraybombed engine came out wonderful! :w00t:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2292/atc005.jpg (http://img504.imageshack.us/i/atc005.jpg/)

That right there is exactly what everyone hates, over spray on everything and grease, dirt, and rust all under the paint.

Lukeatc185
08-15-2009, 09:58 AM
yea 30 for the primer. 20 for the gun. 150 for the compressor. most people dont have the place to spray either. eric not everyone has the compressor already. and not everyone has a place they can use that method of painting. i painted a set of bumpers in my garage using the spray gun and my compressor. and i wont be doing it again. if i do it outside my neibours cars get speckled. and if i do it inside my garage my walls slowly change color. spray paint is a good way to paint. but like i said way early in the post. you got to do you prep work right if u want spray paint to come out nice.

Mosh
08-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I just Auto painted a Z frame with Acrylic enamel Yellow.

I have the guns, the compressor...
The primer was 36 bucks..A qt of yellow was 76 bucks MY cost..Not retail prices.
Add in the activator/ hardner, which I had.. Sand paper etc, reducer, preping solvent, and tack rag, and I still had 150 bucks into materials, even owning the equipment..
They have gotten real proud of that automotive paint crap. It is like paying 200 bucks for a 12 pack of beer..shens :crazy:

It is honestly almost cheaper and easier to PC the damn frame..
I can get frames blasted and PC'd around here for about 200-250 total, and all I have to do is drop it off and pick it up when done.

I am with everyone else..
If you spray paint parts individually, and prep good and keep the same color, It can be ok ..for a rider or clean-up job..But dont expect to gain value from doing it.
Get that crap everywhere else..Overspray, plastic cables screws and such it looks rediculous and is not desried at all.

Lukeatc185
08-15-2009, 10:14 AM
yea but on top of that. you need to have a well prepared garage to do it indoors. or have a good amount of space outside. i like in the city.. i cant use the gun outside. and i only have a 1 car garage. and we store alot of stuff inside, its just not logical to use the gun where i am now.

Lukeatc185
08-15-2009, 10:15 AM
but 79 for a can of paint? thats expensive. its 39.99 here for a bucket of General motors match paint.

hublake
08-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I paint everything with spray cans. It is all in the prep. I sandblast everything, use etching primer, then regular primer, then my color. These are for riders. Here is a picture of my 200e frame. Also a picture of the 70 I am working on now. My shop is only 20 x 20 and I hang tarps to corner off one corner and spray away. It can be done.

Erics350x
08-15-2009, 12:34 PM
yea 30 for the primer. 20 for the gun. 150 for the compressor. most people dont have the place to spray either. eric not everyone has the compressor already. and not everyone has a place they can use that method of painting. i painted a set of bumpers in my garage using the spray gun and my compressor. and i wont be doing it again. if i do it outside my neibours cars get speckled. and if i do it inside my garage my walls slowly change color. spray paint is a good way to paint. but like i said way early in the post. you got to do you prep work right if u want spray paint to come out nice.

Thats not what i was saying at all. Simple taking a paint ROLLER to you car is idiotic and will cost you twice as much when you get ready to do it right. Im not nocking people using spray bomb either, heck i do all the time. Look at the picture above, does that look good to you? If so, you're a tard! But to each his own and i dont have to ride that ugly beast.

edog
08-15-2009, 12:40 PM
They spray bomb it cause it is stolen.

There is a big diffrence between spray bombing and painting. If you prep, prime and paint like edog. That is called painting. If you grab a can of krylon from the garage and just spray everyhting in sight, that is spray bombing. Basically a 1/4 stick of dynamite taped to a spray can, hence the term.

Thanks, I DO NOT SPRAYBOMB,lol

Just spray.....:D

edog
08-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Looks like the makings of a nice rat rod!!!!!
Now you need fuzzy dice and a raccoon tail on the antenna.:welcome:

daniel_250r
08-15-2009, 05:18 PM
sorry edog i typed in rattle can and it automatically switches to edog

Dammit!
08-15-2009, 11:28 PM

That's nothing. My brother once painted his '72 Duster using a brush and some leftover house paint. Looked great from 20 yards away. :lol:

greythorn3
08-16-2009, 01:29 AM
That right there is exactly what everyone hates, over spray on everything and grease, dirt, and rust all under the paint.

geez you dont have to be a jerk about it!

Hoosier_Daddy
08-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I see a lot of reasons in this thread but I haven't seen the main reason why people spray bomb. MONEY. That's why. There are many people on this site who have an abundance of money for their toys that they display here. Those people either forget or never knew what it felt like to be hurting for cash and just thanking the Lord you were able to scrape up the $500 to buy a trike in the first place let alone spending the ridiculous sum of money restoring a show queen.

I don't advocate being lazy and spray bombing your trike without prepping it. But if you are restoring a rider and take time to disassemble, clean, and prep it then there is nothing wrong with spray bombing. But if you do spray bomb, don't expect anyone to accept it as a show queen. And if anyone makes fun of you for properly spray bombing your trike then that is their problem, not yours. And that smug attitude isn't good for the sport. Hell, my 350X frame was shot with auto paint, but the frame has so many problems that i didn't bother to do anything more then clean off the grease dirt and grime and then shoot it. It looks like crap but I'll be replacing it anyway so it doesn't bother in the meantime.

On the other hand, anyone who has more money then they know what to do with, if they want to make every trike, riders and/or show trikes alike all show queens and dump tons of cash into them, good for them. God bless America that they can do it. As long as they do it in a way that doesn't rub it in the faces of those less fortunate. The bottom line is, just because Joe blow makes more money then Henry Everybody, doesn't make Joe Blow a better person.

That's basically my take on life in general. I could never live in Beverly Hills without punching the neighbors on a regular basis. lol:lol: :naughty:

Marty
08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
have any of the spray bombers heard of powder coating it is fairly inexpensive in the Phoenix Az area. Example ESR & Duncan exhaust stingers $30.00 each, IMS pegs and heel guards $60.00, bumpers $30.00 and that also included clear.