PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem Complete Shutdown 250r

xbenzx
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Ok I know i'm not stupid but I love this forum cause you can get peoples opinions. So here in Pittsburgh, Pa. it rained yesterday heavy, The puddles on the trail were huge. So i figured blaze real fast right through them with my 1984 250r ATC. My bike starting missing while I prayed to make it close to home as possible. I just held the gas in steady while it mis-fired. Then in seconds I had a complete SHUTDOWN of the engine. The only thing I could think of is the ignition wire that connects to the coil pack and connects to the spark plug boot. "The ignition wire has a crack 360 degrees all the way around just hanging on by the steel wire internally. It was Drenched in water. I took my riding shirt and dried it up which is good cause it soaks water up like a SHAMWOW! LMAO. So when it was wet I kicked 100 times with no response. When I dried the wire off the engine Fired right up! :) . So do you think the ignition wire is my problem? The water had no time to evaporate of other parts of the electrical system it was Drenched.

See I notice on website you buy parts on, the wire is sealed at the end with a seal and the rubber spark plug boot is the other sealing agent. So the crack I have "breaks the seal" water got on there and KAPOW the engine started mis firing.

:TrikesOwn

Dirtcrasher
08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Did you take the stator cover off and look inside?

I hate water............

xbenzx
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
The stator is sealed no water , dry as a pin.

kkvslayer
08-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Ok I know i'm not stupid, So when it was wet I kicked 100 times with no response. When I dried the wire off the engine Fired right up! :) . So do you think the ignition wire is my problem?

:TrikesOwn

Obviously Your Ignitioncoil wire is no good,it has to be insulated to keep out moisture and keep the spark in the wire,Go ahead and touch the broken part while your trike is running I bet you'll get a good jolt off it,If the wires are not broken you could get away with a electrical tape repair job,just be sure to tape it tight so moisture can't form under it,not sure what they are called but If you go to a autoparts store they should have things to extend your wire,just cut yours at the break,twist it on the extender,get another peice of plug wire twist that on the other side of the extender and your plug cap on the other end and your good to go

honda250sx
08-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Pittsburgh you say. hummmm. used to live in Zelienople for a spell and worked in Cranberry...

Go to your dealer and get a new hunk of coil wire. Its dirt cheap. They should have it on a spool. Don't mess around with JC whitney and the auto-zone funky bunch. Do it right. Take the coil grab the old wire with a pair of pliers and give it a little twist. Its just glued in there. Then you will look down in the coil and see what looks like the end of a woodscrew. Just screw in your new spark plug wire and you can change over your plug boot too. Or your dealer should have some nice NGK boots available as well.

ceaserthethird
08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't go the Cheap route, Order new Wire & boot

xbenzx
08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Guys appreciate your input. I have ordered a stock wire from www.hondapartspitstop.com discount oem honda parts.