PDA

View Full Version : stuck rear axle carrier

whyzee
08-10-2009, 09:31 PM
ughhhh got a rusty 85 axle carrier where I cant get the chain adjuster to budge one way or another. Got it coated in penetrating oil , going to try it in the morning. I see the old owner had the same proble and broke off about 4 of the teeth where you grab it.... any ideas?
I cant get the stock chain length to fit , it too tight by 1/2 3/4 link..i tried to get it on like we used to do our bmx bikes and pedal it on..no dice :) HACK!!!!

Russell 350X
08-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Might have to actually pull it out and cover it in grease...if you can get it out.

jeffatc250r
08-10-2009, 09:42 PM
tap it out and put some K-Y on that pig

Generation-X
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
did you take the 2 rubber seals out? i thought i had the same problem, but it was just those seals holding it

whyzee
08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
yea , i took the two rubber seals out and tried it some more.
I sucked it up, picked up a new carrier, and I will take the whole thing apart this week and do it right. It's just so hard to do 1 handed because of my wrist injury.
thanks for the replies guys, and the confirmation to just take the whole thing out and do it right.

xbenzx
08-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Hell my 250r carrier was stuck, some dude messaged me and said spread the metal with a flat head. I was like WTF theres no place to spread the metal. Then I noticed between the lockbolts u can spread the metal theres acutally rubber in there u move out with your finger. So i spread the metal on both sides. I hit the adjuster with a big flathead and a hammer and trust me after spreading the metal it started moving. This was on a 1984 R not sure if you can spread the metal on yours.

If all else fails take apart the axle and take the carrier out and put it back in to the position you want. Might as well replace the bearing. Axles comes out easy. Your going to have to when all the teeth brake off. Anyways people are so damn lazy and don't buy a new chain . Instead they rather adjust it. The hell with the adjuster lol i leave it set to a brand new chain and leave room for factory setting slack to come on when the chain streches a little. Hell I just replace the chain when it gets to 2 inches of slack. Best Regaurds , Steve

P.S. spreading the metal is the key.

whyzee
08-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Hell my 250r carrier was stuck, some dude messaged me and said spread the metal with a flat head. I was like WTF theres no place to spread the metal. Then I noticed between the lockbolts u can spread the metal theres acutally rubber in there u move out with your finger. So i spread the metal on both sides. I hit the adjuster with a big flathead and a hammer and trust me after spreading the metal it started moving. This was on a 1984 R not sure if you can spread the metal on yours.

If all else fails take apart the axle and take the carrier out and put it back in to the position you want. Might as well replace the bearing. Axles comes out easy. Your going to have to when all the teeth brake off. Anyways people are so damn lazy and don't buy a new chain . Instead they rather adjust it. The hell with the adjuster lol i leave it set to a brand new chain and leave room for factory setting slack to come on when the chain streches a little. Hell I just replace the chain when it gets to 2 inches of slack. Best Regaurds , Steve

P.S. spreading the metal is the key.

Thats funny.. about noon yesterday it hit me...spread the metal it has to move :)

well , i spread it...hit every dam tooth with a 2lb hammer and a nice socket on each tooth ( the wrench from the factory is not strong enough to break teeth for a good reason) anyway, after hitting every tooth i had left, i got it to move the 1/2 link needed to fit an older prestrecthed chain on there ..lol the new one was about 1/8" too short and i was out of teeth. My new carrier chould be here in a few days. Probably should have just waited, but I have some carb issues I need to work out..:w00t:
i just wanted to ride it so bad.

Jason Hall
08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Sometimes the brake stay will get stuck to the carrier also. Might want to check that.

whyzee
08-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Sometimes the brake stay will get stuck to the carrier also. Might want to check that.

yea, i'm thinking thats the major culprit. I've been spraying a little PB penetrating oil every day and every night. As soon as that carrier arrives , i'll take her apart.
thanks for all the good advice:beer

250rAL
08-16-2009, 01:24 AM
It doesn't take much crud to make it impossible to turn but it will still be easy to drive it out. Then just clean it, grease it and put it back together. Don't forget to remove the 2 seals or it won't come out.