PDA

View Full Version : 200ES Carb help please!

NewGuyOldHonda
08-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I have a few questions on tuning my 1984 200ES Big Red carb. I rebuilt the carb and put it back in the three wheeler. I'm not sure if I have my pilot screw at the right setting. I screwed it in until it seated then out 1 7/8 turns. Also, it starts and runs great but at wide open throttle it dies until I let off the throttle and then returns running again.
Thanks for any help.

oscarmayer
08-09-2009, 03:53 PM
sounds like it;s either too lean or flooding. to check, get a new plug and install it. run the bike at idle and pull it to see how it looks. (couple of minutes only) next reinstall plug and run bike up as high as it will go 3-4 times before it dies.
power bike off and pull plug again. look at color. if it's very dark and sooty it's too rich, if it's very light or white it's too lean. from there things can be adjusted.

also before you try this, loosen the gas can and try to running in higher rpms and see if it still dies. if it's a fuel cap issue it will work when the cap is loose.

NewGuyOldHonda
08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
thanks, I will pick up a plug tomorrow and let you know how it looks.

NewGuyOldHonda
08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
I put in a new plug today and now I am not getting any spark? Where do I start to figure this one out?

ToddFrydrych
08-16-2009, 08:05 PM
i bet u pulled the plug wire out of the coil. or you mulled the cap off the wire. chevy the wire that goes the the coil and also the ground wire

bmertler
08-17-2009, 12:31 AM
i have an 84 bigred and i did the same thing rebuilt carb, i ended up having to put (stock95)97.5 main jet in it to run right as for the setting make it idle high and work your way down till it kills itself.

bmertler
08-17-2009, 12:33 AM
oh and btw i burnt 2 plugs one being the original which upset me try getting a couple plugs thats what i did because you may burn a few running lean