PDA

View Full Version : 350x question

portland250r
08-09-2009, 03:08 PM
85 350x

i have another question.
before i break the case and clean out the corosion i want to know i can do it right.

im looking at a shop service manual for the bike and it requires these tools that i dont have is there a way i can take the bike apart without the tools
and if i do will it mess everything up.

i have a torque wrench and other needed tools but not the ones in the manual
or any like them.
thanks for your time.

Dirtcrasher
08-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Splitting cases is easy yet difficult...... IDK what your skill level is, unfortunately we have guys trying to rebuild engines that don't even understand how to tighten there chain :lol:

Anyhow:

You can usually do allot of things without the required "holding tools" if you have an air impact. You will need a flywheel puller for sure, but it is basically just a bolt and Toyota truck large metric bolts fit as well as any other metric fastner you can creatively come up with. Rear axle shafts and front axle threads are a couple of things that sometimes fit and work well.

You will need a press for the main bearings and various other different size ANYTHINGS to press in and out bearings etc etc.

I've split many cases, rebuilt allot of stuff and STILL find myself making some type of puller, pusher or other contraption quite often..........

I suggest you read the shop manual over and over in the engine section before you even touch it, then things will look familiar. Get 1 gallon and quart size ziplock bags, electrical tape and nylon ties and keep as much crap together and organized as possible. Don't even clean the crap until your ready to reassemble unless you have to.

Take pictures, write notes, stay organized and at least then you've done the best you can :beer. Good luck :D

portland250r
08-10-2009, 10:08 AM
i should be able to get some pictures for it today

3Razors
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
When you say "clean out the corrosion" what do you mean by that? The inside of an engine shouldn't have any corrosion if it has been sealed with the drain plug, caps, ect. If you are just trying to flush out old oil there are other much easier and faster ways then splitting the cases.

Jonpin
08-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I have to replace my center cases soon and dreding it .i had to get new ones the previous owned cracked the case with the chain which seems standerd on the 350x. i have 4 stator covers now with various types of damage. im just worried about not having washer in the right spot somewher and messing the engine up,and how to compress the valves to replace the seals .

portland250r
08-10-2009, 07:19 PM
the engine has sat and i finally opened it and its suprisingly clean i think its a maracle after water sitting in it.
the chain broke the case and water got in it sat for 10 years.

Dirtcrasher
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I have to replace my center cases soon and dreding it .i had to get new ones the previous owned cracked the case with the chain which seems standerd on the 350x. i have 4 stator covers now with various types of damage. im just worried about not having washer in the right spot somewher and messing the engine up,and how to compress the valves to replace the seals .

Hey bud, if you label everything and take notes etc etc - you'll be fine. Any parts that you don't understand, just set them aside and ask away here on the board. We also have allot of members in Fla. so don't be afraid to ask for help - you may want to read a few of there posts first though :lol:

The 350X is pretty simple, well made and filled with places mistakes can be made but no 250SX let me tell ya :D

For ANYONE that has never split a case, read the manual 1st and understand that if your pounding and prying - your doing it wrong. Aside from that, most assemblies come off as one (or can) and just jam that in a ziplock bag and call it a day!

I think guys can get them apart and back together. But some of them don't understand there limitations. And that prying and smashing ruins a job that was done 75% correctly. Whats the point of putting in new bearings and gaskets only to have a leak, forget a thrust washer or line up the rings wrong?? I still ask for help if I'm not sure and I've done plenty of work myself........

Give the head to a shop, all we can do is valve seals and thats IF we have the VSC. At least a good shop can tell you if the guide is worn or the valves cupped/seat worn etc etc... Gotta know when to say when :beer