PDA

View Full Version : 250sx valve adjustment after new head

Honda_Dude
08-08-2009, 11:47 AM
As the title says, I'm trying to adjust my valves after I Put a used head on this 85 250SX. I have a shop manual and have done them on a few quads before.

My timing marks were good when I installed the cam & chain. I backed the valve adjusters all the way out before I put the rocker cover on.

The problem is, whenever I try to adjust the exhaust valve, I check my clearance, then try to rotate the engine with the rotor bolt and the exhaust valve will open and the piston will hit the valve. I've tried to use the timing mark both ways (rotate 360) but it doesn't seem to matter.

I re-read the manual and backtraced all of my work but did I miss something ???
Am I just not finding the compression stroke right ???

The only way I can rotate the engine without getting piston/valve interference is by backing the exhaust valve adjuster about all the way out. The exhaust valve seems tight & the intake seems loose.

Could I have problems somewhere else??? This is driving me nuts.

Oh, I bought this with a bad exhaust valve, that's why I found a used head to put back on. The engine rotates fine with the head off. I'm starting to wonder if there is something else wrong I'm not seeing. THX

smvorndran
08-08-2009, 06:21 PM
If I remember correctly, you line up the T on the flywheel, the 2 dashes or dots on the cam sprocket parallel with the head, cam lobes pointed down. Then your timing is set. Once the rocker box is on, adjust the valves. Good luck. It should go easy.

smvorndran

Honda_Dude
08-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Yah, I've done all of that. I kicked it a few times, then it seemed to lock up. That's when I backed off the valve adjusters and it would rotate fine. Looks like I'm going to have to at least pull the rocker cover back off and check the timing.

If it changed, I've got something worn somewhere.

oscarmayer
08-09-2009, 10:08 AM
check to make sure everything is tight, and also you got the rocker on correctly. it really sounds like your off on timming to me. there's a mechanical malfunction there. double check all the marks. also make sure your on the correct flywheel mark, ther eare several marks and if you use the wrong one, it could cause you a problem.

there is a link in my sig to download factory honda service manuals free incase you need one.

Honda_Dude
08-09-2009, 08:28 PM
DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH!

I pulled the rocker cover off, lined my piston to TDC and my timing marks were off by probably 25 degrees. WTF ????? I checked them MANY times. Well, I was so worried about checking my timing marks and getting my auto-tensioner in I TOTALLY forgot to tighten my 2 cam gear bolts. WOW !!! I feel like a complete trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro !!!! I'm new to trikes but have done ALOT of wrenching. I was so anxious to GET 'ER DONE I got in too big of a hurry.

I'm just lucky that it didn't start on the first kick and cause havoc..

Now, anyone have any tips on setting the valves without the special tool. I've done my old 400EX a few times and a few other bikes but have never seen the square head pin this thing has.

I can get them set but when I tighten the nut, the pin tightens too. Why the hell did they make the adjusters like this ???????

I thought I had them set Saturday but this time the pin wants to follow the nut, especially the intake side. Maybe I'll have to buy another damn special tool.......

Oops, I forgot. I have a few(most are gone) tools in the original tool kit. Is this something that came it there by chance ?? If so, I hope it's still there.

Doesn't look like it's there, and I have found it online for a whopping....................TWENTY BUCKS !!!!!!!! They must make these little wrenches out of gold. I have found several places selling replacement tools for the tool kit......screwdriver....$2.........wrench........$ 1.97........pliers.........$2.12........spanner wrench........$3.23........tappet wrench........ $23.07 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WOW !!!!!!!! Why is this little bugger so much more than their other cheap tools???

I found a replacement 85 SX toolkit for $38, but it doesn't come with the golden wrench ??? Anyone else have one that came w/ their trike ??? Looks like I'm going to do a $20 valve adjustment LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

seems like the new replacement part number for this wrench is 07908-KE90200, anywhere from $16 to $23. Anyone found it any cheaper.........or know a Auto Zone replacement ??? THX, and sorry for rambling..... LATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oscarmayer
08-10-2009, 09:16 AM
3 options.

(first 2 are what I do)
1- get long nose needle pliers and get the nut to where it's just before turning the bolt. then hold the square head with pliers and tighten nut.

2- get the nut to where it's just before turning the bolt, then loosen the bolt about 1/4-1/2 turn while holding the nut from moving then tighten nut

3- take the bolt out the rocker, get you a flat 1/8"x1/2" 6" long peice of steel. grind the top corners off slightly, then in the center grind a notch that is the samde size as the square head. the head shoudl fit very sniggly. (can use a dremel for this to be precise). then you have a wrench!!! ;)