PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an opinion on a Cobra pipe?

leprogle
07-28-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking of getting a cobra megaphone pipe for my 185s, some ppl say there good, but a few ppl told me the other day they are junk and the baffles don't last long in them, my friend had one on his big red and the baffles shot out of it and almost hit me.....then my friend ran them over and bent them all to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro :D
Does anyone else have any reviews on them? good or bad? i'm wondering if maybe the few extra $$ for a dg is worth it.
I want something loud though :twisted:

speed20
07-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Personally....I like the sound of a DG over a Cobra anyday....I myself have seen the baffles of cobras come out (I.E. my friend in alabamas did on a warrior).......just my opinion though....

Wickedfinger
07-28-2003, 11:24 PM
I had a Cobra Megaphone on my '84 200X. Other than it being a little louder and having a much meaner exhaust note, I cant say it was any better than the stock pipe and silencer. There might have been just a little power increase (maybe like 1hp) and just a hint more top end. A DG unit will be a little nicer, better made with cleaner welds and such.

yater
07-28-2003, 11:46 PM
I have a utility series cobra on my big red. When I put that thing on, I had a whole new bike. The way it runs with the cobra is totally different. And it sounds pretty mean. Mine has the spark arrestor so I can ride in national forests without hassle. (I'm talking about the header pipe as well, not just the silencer)

MR ATC
07-29-2003, 12:06 AM
i have to disagree with wickedfinger. the DG pipe is the cheaper of the two and was designed by Cobra for DG.

the DG muffler has two extra slight bends in it then the straight shot Cobra.

in exhaust pipe flow a 45 degree bend = 5' of straight pipe and 90 degree bends = 10' of straight pipe, in regards to resistance.

the additional bends on the DG are aprox. 30 degrees each or almost 8' of straight pipe.

the head pipe of the DG is a welded 4 piece compared to the Cobra 3 piece

more welds = more resistance inside the pipe (the weld creates turbulance)

the welding on any DG pipe i ever saw was inferior to the Cobra's i have.

also since i build my own pipes from using parts from both i have discoverd that no two DG headpipes are the same each one is slightly differant with the placement of the collector which is crucial to outcome of the pipes performance

Wickedfinger
07-29-2003, 02:00 AM
i have to disagree with wickedfinger. the DG pipe is the cheaper of the two and was designed by Cobra for DG.

the DG muffler has two extra slight bends in it then the straight shot Cobra.

in exhaust pipe flow a 45 degree bend = 5' of straight pipe and 90 degree bends = 10' of straight pipe, in regards to resistance.

the additional bends on the DG are aprox. 30 degrees each or almost 8' of straight pipe.

the head pipe of the DG is a welded 4 piece compared to the Cobra 3 piece

more welds = more resistance inside the pipe (the weld creates turbulance)

the welding on any DG pipe i ever saw was inferior to the Cobra's i have.

also since i build my own pipes from using parts from both i have discoverd that no two DG headpipes are the same each one is slightly differant with the placement of the collector which is crucial to outcome of the pipes performance

... Well ok then .... Another person who hates DG (it must be a conspiracy!). I guess opinions are like A s s holes around here, everybodys got one, so fair is fair. If you want the truth, all that jibberish he just said is probably true .. but it isn't going to mean squat in the real world to your 8hp, 185 motor and the power gains from a DG to a cobra are probably going to be exactly the same (we can split hairs at 1/16 of a horsepower lost due to "inferior" welds and turbulence). If money is a consideration, I'd go with the Cobra anyway, its less money. Hey at least you have a choice in this case, unlike most "other" early trikes - you can get a DG RCM, a DG quiet series, a Cobra RCM, and Jardine makes a system for it. Also, I'd tend to agree with the other guys observations of the Cobra shedding rusty baffles with alarmacy - I have witnessed this quite a few times on my own.

Dirtcrasher
07-29-2003, 12:06 PM
I too love my COBRA on the 250SX, much better top end and sounds awesome.

roger86200x
07-29-2003, 09:19 PM
hey- I have a cobra megaphone on my 85 200x and my 86 200x and Im going to get 1 4 my 84 200s and It sounds kick ass awesome! It gave a ig boost on performance too over stock! the baffles last a while, Ive had the same baffles on my 85 200x for over a year now and its still good!