PDA

View Full Version : how to fix a rusty gas tank?

ToddFrydrych
08-06-2009, 10:53 PM
i have a 81 250r and the corners of the gas tank have runs holes... how do i fix em?

MTS
08-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, If you steam the tank real good, and i mean stick it in a hot tank, or pressure wash the crap outa it, you Can braze or Get it welded, Would be the best. and if its a real rusty one, Flush it with a 50/50 mix of muratic acid and water, and coat it with red-kote, or kreem,

bmertler
08-07-2009, 12:27 AM
I wouldnt preasure wash it thats just adding more problems espicially when you are welding i would take an air brush, (like a buffer for taking of paint) and sand it down to silver, then take some bolts put them in the tank and shake it around then take them out, this will remove all the bigger flakes quickly, then use kreem or so on like he said some spray paint will do until you can get a better paint for the outside.

AutoXer
08-07-2009, 12:57 AM
muratic acid is the bomb ...... amazing stuff it will eat the inside of that tank and make it look brand new ... then if you are good with a mig or know some one who is that is what I would recommend.... some one had a plastic tank on here that you could get instead? they thought that it was a 200x tank ??? put up a wtb in the classifieds

Erics350x
08-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Take it to a local radiator repair shop and have them solder it. The red-coat the inside.

oscarmayer
08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
^+1 the locak shop told me $60 to drop it in acid, strip the paint, fix all leaks, then coat it. then i can paint it!! ;) that sounds like a humm-dinger of a deal!!!
the sherman williams auto paint store can put the color paint I want in spray cans for me so I cna have actual factory honda red!!!

Dirtcrasher
08-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I have very good success in braising the tanks with a flux coated braising rod and oxy acetylene. Mine was cracks and pin holes, bigger holes would need a patch braised over it but still - no sweat........