PDA

View Full Version : 1986 250ES rear drum seized

nicholls77
08-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Can anyone give me any ideas on getting this darn rear drum off. I just bought this trike and it needs rear brakes. I have tried heating it with MAPP gas and using a three jaw puller but it wont budge. Am I missing something? I am thinking of resorting to oxy-acetylene to try and heat it hotter and if that doesn;t work will have to cut it off. I just don't want to buy a new drum unless I have to. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Thorpe
08-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Take the 2 screws out of the face of the drum... (where it bolts on to the hub)

nicholls77
08-06-2009, 12:47 AM
I don't I have the bolts on an 86?? The 86's drum is inside a case and is splined just to the shaft and not the wheel hub. Is this not correct?

Yamaha_Rules69
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Did you allready hammer the axle out? If not, you are going to have to hit the axle out to get that brake off if it is siezed that bad. I had the same problem on a 185s, and I just hit the axle out, and GOT IT.

smvorndran
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I had one of those drums seized on the axle. I applied heat, fabricated a special puller, added more heat, whacked it, and it never came off. I ended up cutting it off. I think the drum was aluminum with a steel splined insert. It was a pain in the butt to remove. Many hours of swearing. Good luck, but you're probably going to cut it.

smvorndran