PDA

View Full Version : 85 350x gas and oil problem

hsstsss
08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
what would cause gas in the oil.
i openend up my oil cap today and gas and oil (mainly gas) came out of it and i am stumped on what is the problem the only thing i can think of is the case is crackred somewhere and it runs fine and dosent smoke at all

Thorpe
08-06-2009, 12:14 AM
needle and seat are sticking in the carb....

Erics350x
08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Worn carb needle, carb float, or a clogged fuel tank cap vent

hsstsss
08-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Okay. Could that ruin an parts inside the case potentialy. It has been sitting with the gas on now for a Week or so and if the best bet would to drain all the oil out and put fresh in it and then do it all againuntill there I'd no more left or Very little

Yamaha_Rules69
08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, I would change it right away if there was gas in the oil. It shouldnt have hurt anything by just sitting there for that short of time. The problem would be running it like that. The gas would break down the oil in the crankcases and become so thin that it could cause failure to bearrings and such. Make sure you always turn your petcock to the "off" position when you are done riding, that will allow minimal if any gas to get into the bottom end. Probly test the carb needle and seat with vacuum pressure (mighty vac) to see if the needle/seat have a good seal, or visually inspect the needle for wear at the tip if you know how to. Goog luck, and hope this helps.

Lukeatc185
08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
it wont damage anything besides seals, and that would take along time. as long as its sitting, if you run it like that it will cause harder wear on the entire engine. but most common problem with this is the float sticking. your carb slowly floods out. if you have air box on it. its going to flood through there and into your case vent. it was one problem i had when i brought the yammy home. i pulled a newb move and fired it up before changing common things like dif fluid, oil, plug. coolant where applicable. it had tons of gas in the case with the oil from a float being installed upside down by the PO, i wondered why it overheated. then i smartened up and changed the oil, plug and dif fluid.

hsstsss
08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Alright thank you huys so much you saved me from tearing my whole motor apartto see if there was a cràck in that cylinder or piston

Russell 350X
08-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Rebuild the carb, last time I did mine it was 20$...change your oil and filter ASAP also....make sure you put the filter in the right way.