PDA

View Full Version : Variable Idling?? HELP

garretatc
08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
First off... I just joined this forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Garret and I'm from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. I've been searching and reading lots but I havn't found the answer to my problem.

I recently bought 2, 3 wheelers in fair shape. One of them the PO couldn't get it running, So I took it home for a great price. I replaced the plug and cleaned the carb and it started great. Shortly after it ran I took it apart and replaced the front and rear bearings, brake cables and shoes, and chain and sprockets. After driving it around I notice the idle was alittle too high and would stay high unless I completly stopped the bike with the brakes. When I shifted into neutral it would slowly begin to rise again. To me it seemed like I had an intake leak so I removed the intake and put some form a gasket on both the carb flange and the intake to head flange and again..... the same thing. The second trike wouldn't stay running so I disassembled the carb and the pilot jet was plugged so I cleaned it, put it back on and sure enough.... the second bike is doing the same thing.... any ideas?

harryredtrike
08-03-2009, 09:37 PM
your on the right track.pull carbs back off and pay special attention to the pilot jet,long jet with all the little holes.clean thoroughly and gently,dont use drill bit.put back together and reset to factory settings,manual should be on site.also make sure anti surge cup is in the bowl.if no air leaks should address problem

Lord Letto 20
08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the Boards, i'm not to Sure of this but Your Problem might Have to Do with The Carb Settings. there are some Free Links to manuals on the internet that you can use to maybe find the Right Settings.

garretatc
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
It does seem like the carbs, both engines seem to run Hot. the 185 seems to have more power than the 200 and better throttle response.

I should have mentioned what kind of bikes they are. One is an 85 200M and the other is a 83 185S. Both are in excellant condition and to be honest don't look like they had alot of use . I've been working on bikes for a long time. I'm just stumped. carbs are set they way they were. I find it hard to beleive that both need to run richer. as if somebody dropped the needles down considering I bought the 2 of them from different owners.

garretatc
08-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Oh yes.... the 185 has the anti serge cup around the main, but the 200 did not.

harryredtrike
08-03-2009, 10:15 PM
the 185s should be peppier than the 200.do you know the settings for the carbs?

garretatc
08-04-2009, 07:12 AM
All I did was disasemble the carb and clean it. I screwed the air screw in counting the turns and I got 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 in on both. I figured that was a good place to start. And returned the air screws to that postion. Idle i set by ear.

harryredtrike
08-04-2009, 08:10 AM
yea should be right there.are you running an air filter?

garretatc
08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Yes there is an air filter on it. I has to be an intake leak. I'll go over the air box boots tonight and do a compression test.

Erics350x
08-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Check the mixture screw o-ring and tip.

garretatc
08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
OK.. I will check the mixture screw. What about the crank case breather? what if one of those lines were blocked the crankcase was building pressure. would that cause the flucluating idle. IS this most deffinatly a carb/intake problem?