PDA

View Full Version : spark plug chop

crzyd247
08-01-2009, 03:32 PM
when i do this s hould i put a brand new plug in it or use the ones thats in there now so hold throttle wide up for 5 sec then let off then kill it ?

joshco84
08-01-2009, 04:34 PM
use new plugs

freestylejunki3
08-01-2009, 04:36 PM
kill it before you let off.

old-yellow
08-01-2009, 05:05 PM
2-Stroke Plug Chop how-to.
http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html

Fox250R
08-02-2009, 08:06 PM
lol sounds like a waste of time to me....I ride mine for a bit pull the plug if its light it color you rich it up a bit if its dark lean it out..Been doing it this way for 3 years on same topend! Been riding a long time never seen anybody cutting their plugs in half LOL........

crzyd247
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
its black would it be my mixture wrong or you think it running to rich and jet it down to get rid of mid bog

Yamaha_Rules69
08-04-2009, 10:59 AM
What machine is this on? I would try adjusting the pilot screw first to lean it a bit. If the screw is on the engine side of the carb, it is a pilot fuel screw and will require you to turn it in to make it leaner, and out for richer (more gas) However, if the screw is on the intake side of the carb, it is the pilot air screw and is the opposite to adjust compared to the fuel screw. Turning the air screw in would make in would make it richer, and out would be leaner (more air) Hope this helps.

Fox250R
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
its black would it be my mixture wrong or you think it running to rich and jet it down to get rid of mid bog

Did you use a new plug? And yes it sounds very rich to me...Could be your main jet, could be your gas oil ratio and does it smoke alot?..Try running 40-1 but it all depends how your bike it set up...You running any aftermarket parts on it? Like pipe and silincer or a bigger carb?

crzyd247
08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
i havent got to try it out with new gas mixture but its all stock no aftermarket stuff at all it smokes when i start it up and idleing but doesnt smoke to bad when running it i am going to first try the gas oil mixture see if that changes if not maybe jet down one should i bother moving the needle up to the top position or just worry about gas mixture and main jet first

Fox250R
08-05-2009, 04:34 PM
i havent got to try it out with new gas mixture but its all stock no aftermarket stuff at all it smokes when i start it up and idleing but doesnt smoke to bad when running it i am going to first try the gas oil mixture see if that changes if not maybe jet down one should i bother moving the needle up to the top position or just worry about gas mixture and main jet first

Well, If its all stock, i'd double check the whole carb over! Jets, needle, clips, float and air screw..And what altitude are you riding at?

And i'll tell you a quick story about mine thats kinda funny... Years back just after i had the frame painted, i couldnt figure out why my bike was running so rich and bogging down. Come to find out my ground wire wasnt hitting a clean area on my frame..Sanded back a little section and reinstalled the wire and it ran alot better.. Might be a coincidence lol who knows! But i messed with my carb for weeks until someone pointed that out to me...

Anyway bro, Im not the best around here at trouble shooting carb probs but ill do my best :D

crzyd247
08-05-2009, 06:43 PM
hey man i am learning alot from what you saying thank you so much i am in chicago so not sure what alltiude i am iin i am about to ride it tomorrow i just cleaned that carb again set air screw to stock spec i am 40 to 1 gas new plug new airfilter the only think i didnt and dont know how to check is my float i have manual but kinda unsure how to check them . and now that you say i will try to find the ground on the bike and clean and make sure thats getting good conection i am guessing its right by the coil thanks for all the help

mohadib
08-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I hope you are running a good oil going 40:1. Good Luck

Fox250R
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I believe my ground was near my rear light attached to the frame but i really dont remember...If you find it just take it off and make sure there is clean metal behind it and dont forget to check your mainjet as well bro..And use good 2 stroke oil like the other guy said.Also if youre using pump gas try to use premium.. Hope this stuff helps man! Im just going off all the jetting probs i have had over the years.. Goto youtube look up fox250r and youll see it runs pretty good now :)

crzyd247
08-06-2009, 09:14 PM
ok i gave it fresh 40 to 1 mix cleaned carb i adjusted the floats up a lil airscrew is at stock 1/12 turns out new plugs started up but smokes while idling idle was low so i screwed it in all the way in now it wont idle up high at all so took for ride and the bogging seems to be getting better not as much bog just cant figure out now the idle problem and still smoking while idling

Fox250R
08-07-2009, 12:24 AM
ok i gave it fresh 40 to 1 mix cleaned carb i adjusted the floats up a lil airscrew is at stock 1/12 turns out new plugs started up but smokes while idling idle was low so i screwed it in all the way in now it wont idle up high at all so took for ride and the bogging seems to be getting better not as much bog just cant figure out now the idle problem and still smoking while idling

Well its a 2stroke bro, its going to smoke a little bit nothing really wrong with that.. And as far as your idling goes check your pilot jet see if that is stock as well.. I believe my pilot is a 52... I know our carbs are nothing a-like, just wanted to familiarize you what your pilot # might be around...Might wanna try a compression check too, your rings might be going. Let me know how its working out man! Good luck :)

Maybe someone else with a little more knowledge could weigh in on this :)

Fox250R
08-07-2009, 12:30 AM
hey man i am learning alot from what you saying thank you so much i am in chicago so not sure what alltiude i am iin i am about to ride it tomorrow i just cleaned that carb again set air screw to stock spec i am 40 to 1 gas new plug new airfilter the only think i didnt and dont know how to check is my float i have manual but kinda unsure how to check them . and now that you say i will try to find the ground on the bike and clean and make sure thats getting good conection i am guessing its right by the coil thanks for all the help

Still would like to know what altitude youre riding at man.. Never been to chicago so i have no idea what its like over there...But i know it can snow alot so im guessing you could be up high somewhat..

mohadib
08-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Read the jetting thread in world class help. Its packed full of great information.

Fox250R
08-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Anyluck crzy? Kinda wondering how its running now :)

boosted96cobra
08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Reading the plug doesn't mean you have to cut it off. That how to is very mis informed! Why? Because you never want to full throttle through all the gears if the jetting is off, especially lean, that is just asking for trouble.

My bike runs in the 155 range, 60 pilot (39mm carb. not stock) but I have 150-168 range of jets. Altitude, tempature, ect ect all can have an effect on jetting. Last trip out I was running a 152 during the day, went as high as a 158 when it was colder at night.

I have noticed I can run on the same clip on the needle and the same pilot. But if I were you I would be glad your jetting is off so you can learn to do it. When you have the pilot and needle set, changing the main is simple, just loosen the clamps that hold the rubber on both sides of the carb, turn it so you can get under the bowl, remove the 17mm float bowl, and use a 6mm to remove and install the new main jet. It's that easy.