PDA

View Full Version : gas tank question

3 wheeler rider
07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
i was wondering if there is some product that i could use to coat the inside of a metal gass tank to stop it from rusting.

rdlsz24
07-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeah you have many choices. Por-15, Red Kote, Kreem are some I've heard of. I used Por-15 myself and had good results. It even sealed up some pin holes. The key to being successful is to follow their prep work instructions closely.

Rob

Macs
07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I use to swear by por15 until the last tank i coated. It came undone about 3 weeks after i coated it. I called the manufacture to find out how to remove it and they were pricks about it. Instead of telling me how to remove it they took the defensive and said i didnt do it right. Even though that was about my 50th tank to use por15 on. So there bad customer service turned me off. I think it was a bad batch which happens occasionaly or maybe old since it had been sitting in my garage for 2 years. I wasnt blaming them, griping, asking for a refund, nothing!!! They were rude and disrespectful and i still didnt get an answer.

rdlsz24
07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Barry was that 3 weeks with gas in it? I guess I need to take a look in my tank. I poured gas in it a few weeks back and haven't looked in there since.

Rob

Macs
07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Yup, i ran one tank through after the complete rebuild. filled it back up. It sat in the garage for three weeks and then we took it to cherokee atv park. It would run for a minute then die. After about 5 minutes do the same thing. Pulled the fuel line from the tank and i was getting just a dribble. removed the gas cap and saw like sheets floating in it. I thought the girls had put something in the tank. Tried fishing it out and it was connected on the other end. Then i noticed more of them. Took some needle nose and broke a piece off and it was the tank liner. Pulled the carb off and it is packed full of liner. I am worried it got sucked in the engine. This is on a atc70.

AutoXer
07-23-2009, 02:34 PM
it all seems to work good I did mine with the muratic acid wash then red kote seemed pretty easy

Thorpe
07-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I was a por15 fan, but now that I have my BR, (tank was already sealed when I got it) The Kreem coat is kind of interesting... It can be removed with M.E.K. Which is a good thing when you want to weld up the pin holes and use a stud gun to pop the dents...