PDA

View Full Version : Think this could be fixed by welding?

Saul
07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Crack in case - 85-89 style Honda 250R engine - underneath sprocket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/SaulAce/trx/case/IMG_2202.jpg

VERY close up of crack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/SaulAce/trx/case/IMG_2205.jpg

If this was yours would you attempt to fix by welding or just get another engine case?

leevarnado
07-22-2009, 06:39 PM
i think whatever would be cheapest,it could easily be welded,sanded,and you would never know the difference

ATCeeya
07-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Im going to enter an answer of no in right now, and then check back to see what the pros think and see if Im wrong or not.

JB weld or replace..my opinion. could be wrong.

Lukeatc185
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
easily can be welded.

Saul
07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Could I actually trust JB Weld on it?! Nothing really 'going on' in that area - just need it to not leak there. As far as I can imagine there is no 'pressure' on that spot - nothing rubbing up against it causing friction or pressure ....

hmmmmmmmmm

Lukeatc185
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
depends on who does the job. but thats an easy fix for some one who knows what there doing.

Thorpe
07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
JB weld sucks. Anyone with a TIG could welder could weld that up and it would good as new... Stick it in a box and send it to me... I will weld it up for you...

brapp
07-22-2009, 08:35 PM
a good welder shoudl be able to tig if for 20 bucks or so but first is figure out why it cracked!

Saul
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
a good welder shoudl be able to tig if for 20 bucks or so but first is figure out why it cracked!

It's either cracked from the torn up gear inside cracking it or me splitting the cases. I only wish I woulda looked closer before I started to split the cases.

Anyway, it's cracked now and needs to be fixed/replaced - one way or another.

So this needs to be TIG welded? Regular weld is no good? JB Weld mix won't hold up? Cause I feel like slathering this liquid cooled slut with JB Weld and calling it a day. :twisted:

Stupid liquid cooled crap :lol:

RodKnockRacing
07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
believe it or not JB weld holds up pretty well on a clean surface so Saul if it doesnt mean that much to you just JB weld it

Xowner
07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
weld it or GTFO! jb weld is when your stuck on the side of the trail or somthing

Russell 350X
07-22-2009, 09:02 PM
DO NOT Jb weld that...that crap sucks...sometimes you can find cheap deals on cases.....I would do that, but if you know someone you trust enough to TIG it up, then have that done.

Saul
07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
again - regular weld won't work or what? I know crap all about welding. It 'has' to be tig welded? I mean - I don't need it to look all 'clean' and 'pretty' I just need it useable!

mmiguy2103
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
its a aluminum case tig works better for aluminum, go to any shp they will do it for under $20

and yea JB weld is for trail fixes only. trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!!

Russell 350X
07-22-2009, 09:25 PM
They make alum. wire for MIG welders, but it will not hold as well and it will look like hell.....have someone with a TIG do it, it will look better and you will never have to worry about it again.

Billy Golightly
07-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Those cases are hell to do because of the porosity soaking up the oil for 20 years. Its do-able, but its not going to look pretty with a mig or a tig.

Xowner
07-22-2009, 11:19 PM
ill buy that case if trailprotrailpro going to jb weld it

honda250sx
07-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Being porous is the demise of cast aluminum. It will need to be baked in an oven several cycles to "outgas" the porous aluminum. I would send that to HRE ATV. He can weld cases and anything for that matter. Do it right and have a PRO weld it if you want it to look nice. If not bite the bullet and buy cases.

If your going to do it. Do it right I say. Don't dickdoodle around with JB weld. Don't get Bobby Joe's back yard hack and weld shop to do it either.

code200k
07-23-2009, 12:23 AM
just tig it like everyone said.. j.b. weld is crap i tryed to use it to fix a cracked case and it sucked kept falling off and it wasnt cuz i didnt do it right

BOB MARLIN
07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Saul,
I bought some stuff at our local"antique car swap meet" a few years back. It looks like thick aluminum wire. Iv'e used it a bunch of times with fantastic results.
You clean the part, heat it with one of those cheap propane or map gas torches
and it flows right in the crack. Do a search on the web for aluminum reapair and you will probrably find it.

Lukeatc185
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
sounds like industrial soddering lol.

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
JB weld is a quick fix at best. Yes, you can all tell me your story about your Moms waterpump holding up for 3 years while she took you off to soccer practice BLAH BLAH BLAH!!

Gas out the oils yourself, prep it yourself and go to a real shop that is clean and professional and expect to get that as a result.....

Your not "sure" if you did it splitting the cases?? That in itself tells me this puppies probably gonna be rollin on JB :lol:

Some of you guys take these parts for granted, like they'll be here forever. When there gone, you'd all kill for a case you can merely repair Deepa

xbenzx
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Saul Take it to your local Autobody shop , my local autobody shop welds mine for free.! :)

The Goat
07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Some of you guys take these parts for granted, like they'll be here forever. When there gone, you'd all kill for a case you can merely repair Deepa

I couldn't agree more, and I couldn't get more pissed off than when i see someone tossing something because it's broken...broken means it can be fixed.

Saul
07-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Your not "sure" if you did it splitting the cases?? That in itself tells me this puppies probably gonna be rollin on JB :lol:

Yeah - I wasn't making love to the case before I started splitting it. Didn't notice the less then 1 inch crack until I had the engine up taking pics. But don't worry your lil dirtycrashing head off ---- I'll get it fixed properly and then after slap some Jb Weld over top of that and get some pics - just for you! :w00t:

Maybe I could print your avatar pic, JB Weld that to the seat - then everytime I sit on the bike I can sit on your face! :beer

Jesus holier then thou attitudes you run into when you're forced to ask for help. :rolleyes:

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah - I wasn't making love to the case before I started splitting it. Didn't notice the less then 1 inch crack until I had the engine up taking pics. But don't worry your lil dirtycrashing head off ---- I'll get it fixed properly and then after slap some Jb Weld over top of that and get some pics - just for you! :w00t:

Maybe I could print your avatar pic, JB Weld that to the seat - then everytime I sit on the bike I can sit on your face! :beer

Jesus holier then thou attitudes you run into when you're forced to ask for help. :rolleyes:

Since you want to roll this way:

Thats not it at all, but if you beat the liquid cooled cases apart, what does that say about you??

I'm not better than anyone on this board, I just TRY not to be stupid and ruin parts.

Did I not tell you at .org they would be fine to weld and unfortunately it seems people think JB weld is the way to FIX CASES THAT ARE SPLIT!! Deepa

Lets remember who's supposedly the professional with his own website.......

Saul
07-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Since you want to roll this way:

Thats not it at all, but if you beat the liquid cooled cases apart, what does that say about you??

I didn't 'beat' the cases apart - didn't hit them with anything. I used a proper case splitter and once the cases became 'stiff' I stopped - saw broken gear parts inside and as soon as I jarred them loose the case easily came fully apart.

I'm not better than anyone on this board, I just TRY not to be stupid and ruin parts.

For all intent and purposes I don't feel I broke the cases - it's starting to look more and more like the previous owner cracked it when he blew the gear to pieces. Obviously I only noticed the crack when I had the engine up on the workbench to take progress pics. Now I'll never know. Regardless - I'll take you STUPID slur, store it away and, when the curve in the road appears someday give it right back to you mr.perfect.

Did I not tell you at .org they would be fine to weld and unfortunately it seems people think JB weld is the way to FIX CASES THAT ARE SPLIT!! Deepa

Don't even know who you are at .org

Lets remember who's supposedly the professional with his own website.......

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I'm a 'professional' cause I have an airfoolers website. :rolleyes:

Awesome. Just awesome. Screw you man - all I do with the website is scour for information and make that information available in one place - have I ever claimed to be some kinda professional?!

Thats a dirty, ignorant remark to make ... being the webmaster of a fansite and I think I'm a professional - yeah right. Whatever.

RodKnockRacing
07-23-2009, 06:26 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I'm a 'professional' cause I have an airfoolers website. :rolleyes:

Awesome. Just awesome. Screw you man - all I do with the website is scour for information and make that information available in one place - have I ever claimed to be some kinda professional?!

Thats a dirty, ignorant remark to make ... being the webmaster of a fansite and I think I'm a professional - yeah right. Whatever.

amen Saul gotta love how certain people like to run there mouth and all your doin is asking a simple question on how to fix a cracked case

Saul
07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
amen Saul gotta love how certain people like to run there mouth and all your doin is asking a simple question on how to fix a cracked case

That's just Dirtcrashers way - at the very least - 80% of his posts are ignorant holier then tho replies. I could care less and usually ignore him - but it's a dirty slur to try and insinuate I think I'm some kinda professional because I have a three wheeler fansite.

But again, I should expect no less from him.

xbenzx
07-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't see my reply so i'll post this again. Saul go to local autobody shop and have them weld it. My autobody shop does my 250r free and there professionals!.

Saul
07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't see my reply so i'll post this again. Saul go to local autobody shop and have them weld it. My autobody shop does my 250r free and there professionals!.

That's the plan right now. :beer

I've got some time though, still waiting on the crank bearings and seals to show up along with busted gear and shaft - and the gaskets. Well - gaskets don't matter cause if the other parts show up before the gaskets I'll just use JB Weld instead of gaskets and bolts! :w00t:

The Goat
07-23-2009, 07:06 PM
saul do you realize it isn't what you say...it's how you say it?

You come across as an ass and people are going to let you know.

Also...if you cracked a case while seperating it...you were doing something very wrong. I nice little rubber hammer and plastic chisel works wonders.

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I am so sorry to anyone I offended because I wanted to see it fixed right, it's apart and easy to fix. I didn't realize how horribly I attacked you and 80% of the members here.

I just don't know how someone could not see that crack with the engine on a bench and ready to split?? Wouldn't someone see that crack when removing case the bolts?

The inside of that case will tell you if it was a gear failure issue. To me, it looks smashed IN, not out like a gear failure might look like. It looks like the motor was pry barred out of the swinger or something. But thats just what I see from the picture....

I merely felt you'd prefer to do it correctly based on your love of 3wheelers. Maybe you could care less about preserving rare parts yet run a website promoting the preservation of air cooled trikes which are your fancy. Confusing.......

Sorry for the professional comment (I'm actually impressed with your website work and it wasn't meant to attack you) but apparently you felt attacked by me.......

All I wanted you to do was CONSIDER fixing it right because it's apart and it's easy. Your the one that claimed you didn't "make love" to them when taking them apart. Which brings to my mind, hammers and screwdrivers.

"THORPE" offered to fix them and I'll bet he can do them well if he offered to repair them.....

I'm guilty as charged if I try to stress doing things right the first time and reading a manual.

But if you JB weld a case thats apart or anyone suggests you do so - YOUR A F****** IDIOT.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/OohreallyGIF.gif

YOURS TRULY - MR PERFECT, AKA MR HOLIER THAT THOU :welcome:

Saul
07-23-2009, 07:22 PM
saul do you realize it isn't what you say...it's how you say it?

You come across as an ass and people are going to let you know.

Pot - meet kettle! YOU are usually the FIRST guy to run in with a smart alec remark as SOON as there is any sign of an arguement - always looking to escalate it. What a joke.

Also...if you cracked a case while seperating it...you were doing something very wrong. I nice little rubber hammer and plastic chisel works wonders.

Yeah, cause putting a case splitter on the case and following instructions to a TEE is VERY wrong. The cases came apart fine with no resistance at all - then when the case 'jammed' on the all ready broken, loose gears I stopped pulling the cases apart. Wiggled a piece of broken gear loose and the case came apart like butter.

Many people, who have seen the pics have remarked that when the previous owner busted the gear that it most likely cracked the case then and there. Which would likely explain why when I got the bike home and drained the tranny fluid there was hardly any in the bike.

As the previous owner told me - it locked in second gear - he got it home, shut it off and it say untouched for over 5 years.

Regardless - if I cracked the case or not - the thing is cracked now one way or another. It's my problem. I'll have it fixed - thank you & goodnight.

:rolleyes:

jeffatc250r
07-23-2009, 07:31 PM
If you need that welded, send it my way. My neighbor is a pro of over 40 yrs. That will be no problem at all. Send me a pm if you want,.... jeff

The Goat
07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
lol...Saul you'll never meet a guy with a cooler head. But when you claim that a member who's always helpful and insightful is actually attacking members with holier than thou statements, I must voice an opinion.

Steve fixed my headlight guard that another POS member felt the need to lie about and sell....and he did it for free.

Now just because we kidded you about the airfooler obsession months ago don't go and get all riled up. To each his own, I prefer four pokes.

Read your posts, were you being testy and a bit of a butt? Yes. Could my posts be taken the same way, sure; however, I do try to explain myself as best as possible.

Do it once, do it right. If you're incapable of doing it right, have someone do if for you.

Cade

Saul
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I am so sorry to anyone I offended because I wanted to see it fixed right, it's apart and easy to fix. I didn't realize how horribly I attacked you and 80% of the members here.

Why should it mater to you if it's fixed correctly or not. From what I hear from others on what you think of me - the last thing you would be worried about is me having it fixed correctly.

I just don't know how someone could not see that crack with the engine on a bench and ready to split?? Wouldn't someone see that crack when removing case the bolts?

Didn't see it. Might have been there, maybe it wasn't. Does it matter? It's cracked and needs to be fixed, regardless of how it became cracked.

The inside of that case will tell you if it was a gear failure issue. To me, it looks smashed IN, not out like a gear failure might look like. It looks like the motor was pry barred out of the swinger or something. But thats just what I see from the picture....

If the crack had happened from being 'pry barred' out of the swinger I would imagine the crack woulda been forced 'in' to the case and not 'out' as the picture shows? I can tell you when I removed the engine it was as simple as grabbing it and lifting it out of the frame - pry bar?

And heres a pic from inside the case ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/SaulAce/trx/gears/IMG_2227.jpg

as you can see, the crack is pushing out - you can pretty much also see where the gear made contact in the center of the crack.

another ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/SaulAce/trx/gears/IMG_2224.jpg

I merely felt you'd prefer to do it correctly based on your love of 3wheelers.

Uhhhhhhh :lol:

Maybe you could care less about preserving rare parts yet run a website promoting the preservation of air cooled trikes which are your fancy. Confusing.......

This is off a liquid cooled machine - who cares? Once I get it fixed I'm gunna beat it to death and push it over a cliff. :naughty:

Sorry for the professional comment (I'm actually impressed with your website work and it wasn't meant to attack you) but apparently you felt attacked by me.......

Being able to produce a half decent looking website with information compiled from friends and peers does not make me a 'professional' know-it-all about three wheelers or small engine repair. I am most certainly not, nor do I ever claim to be. I'll help out someone when I CAN by giving them back information I learned from HOURS of reading here and trail by error. I however have MUCH more to learn. Much, much more ... it would be nice to have a place you can ask such 'noob' questions without a bunch of ignorant/arrogant answers.

You know you were attempting to insult me by calling me 'some kinf of professional' by referencing my aircooled R fansite. Let's not play coy.

All I wanted you to do was CONSIDER fixing it right because it's apart and it's easy. Your the one that claimed you didn't "make love" to them when taking them apart. Which brings to my mind, hammers and screwdrivers.

Hammers and screwdrivers might come to your mind, but a Tusk Case Splitter is the reality that sits on my workbench.

"THORPE" offered to fix them and I'll bet he can do them well if he offered to repair them.....

As he can/could tell you - we have been making arrangements - if I can't get it done properly locally he will most certainly be my go to guy! Moreover, all the while we talked he never once try to make me feel like a noobie idiot.

Bought a case splitter, flywheel remover, crank puller, manual - I most certainly tried to 'do things right' the first time. I only now wish I had a pic before last nite to know if I cracked the thing or not. LOL. But it really doesn't matter.

[quote]But if you JB weld a case thats apart or anyone suggests you do so - YOUR A F****** IDIOT.

How about 'Cold Steel' ?! It's like JB Weld - but cheaper.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/OohreallyGIF.gif

YOURS TRULY - MR PERFECT, AKA MR HOLIER THAT THOU :welcome:

Awesome. :rolleyes:

Saul
07-23-2009, 07:45 PM
If you need that welded, send it my way. My neighbor is a pro of over 40 yrs. That will be no problem at all. Send me a pm if you want,.... jeff

Thanks for the offer! :beer

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I thought you said "goodnight" Saul??

I can't think of one thing I've ever said to anyone in regards to you that I didn't say to you. WTF are you talkin about SAUL - How many more times do I need to post publicly that I respect your website?? Can you read?? I can't build a website Saul...... YOU made yourself feel like a Noobie Idiot, not me - go back and quote another 200 words I posted that somehow insulted you.

But, your really kinda looking mental with all the quotes and responses....

"throw it over a cliff" Uhmm, is that because it's the best ATC powerplant (arguably) Honda ever made??

Just fix the FKNG thing right if you have any talent will ya please??

EDIT - "From what I hear from others on what you think of me - the last thing you would be worried about is me having it fixed correctly"

I'd like some insight on this please. PM, here or email me, thank you....

You actually were not on my moron list so I'm not sure what basis this has.

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
^ Yep, but he responds and I didn't pull in his yard either unannounced :D

Saul
07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I thought you said "goodnight" Saul??

Can't sleep - JB Welded my eye's open.

How many more times do I need to post publicly that I respect your website??

WTF does that have ANYTHING to do with calling me a supposed 'professional' at fixing trikes/small engines because I have, in your words, a nice website?! How does that add up?!

Can you read??

No, my secretary reads this out to me and I dictate the replies back to her to type. :rolleyes:

I can't build a website Saul......

Ok?! :confused: And, again, this has WHAT to do with a crack in my engine half?! Have you been drinking?

YOU made yourself feel like a Noobie Idiot, not me -

I just wanted peoples opinions on how best to fix a crack - not try and belittle me about hammers and chisels and read a manual and being an idiot if you don't fix the legendary 250R engine correctly!

go back and quote another 200 words I posted that somehow insulted you.

This has gone so f@$king far off topic now. :rolleyes:

But, your really kinda looking mental with all the quotes and responses....

ORLY? I'm not the guy putting stuff about this in his sig line in all CAPS - seriously, wth? :lol:

"throw it over a cliff" Uhmm, is that because it's the best ATC powerplant (arguably) Honda ever made??

No - because it spilled coolant on my good shoes.

Just fix the FKNG thing right if you have any talent will ya please??

I don't have the tools to properly weld it myself. As you can see though, there are some SWELL members here who are offering help WITHOUT all the drama and attitude you insist on putting in here.

If you act like this away from the computer screen Steve, it's obvious why you are jobless and alone. :(

Takea deep breath and walk away for a minute - go make a NOS headlight guard or something. Feel better soon.

Hugs and kisses Nancy
:beer

AutoXer
07-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow ..... just get a good case half already .... its a triangulated hole for crist sake not the last 250r case known to man ...... Saul you are a asset to 3 wheelers DC you are also ... could you kiss and make up???

Saul
07-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Wow ..... just get a good case half already .... its a triangulated hole for crist sake not the last 250r case known to man ......

I know I should. But people ask insane amounts for sprocket side cases in good shape without cracks/fixes from thrown chains. I'll be honest - I'm doing this build on a very limited budget - if I can get away with having it welded and save money doing so it's the road I kinda have to take. But I understand, and at the same time agree, with what you are saying - money just won't allow it.

Saul you are a asset to 3 wheelers

Crap - thank you?! :)

DC you are also ... could you kiss and make up???

At the very least we could end the pointless bickering here - questions I had have been answered, in the right hands the case can be welded and will be usable.

How & why it cracked, airfoolers.com, etc etc - has nothing to do with the original purpose of the thread.

Again, thanks all to those who have gone out of their way to offer help in a modest and humble way - I appreciate it.

jason85atc250r
07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the offer! :beer

send your case to HRE in PA. he will be able to weld it for you and have no problems good as new.

i'm friends with him. he fixed my 85atc250r when it broke a skirt off the piston and blew a dime size hole in the bottom of the cases.

Thorpe
07-24-2009, 12:05 AM
could you kiss and make up???

If you guys do... I am gonna puke! :naughty: :naughty:

Lukeatc185
07-24-2009, 12:44 AM
its repairable 100%, just because its weakend around the break means very little. it took ALOT of force behind that gear to do that in the firstplace. i dont see anything else normal breaking the case once its welded up. and i mean welded. not JB weld. i would not even think of buying a new case. a shop would maybe charge 10 bucks tops to fix that properly. its not bad to the point where i could even weld it. i just dont have the proper wire/tips to do so with my little welder. its obvious it wont look great. the case is pushed out, and it will most likely crack if you try to knock it back. id just get it filled and grind it down as nice as you can. and you will be 100% fine. unless the gear goes again it will probaly almost make it fully through next time.

DeePa
07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
man i usually get banned for trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro like this

Mosh
07-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I am concerned about the output shaft alignment after it is welded.
It may be off center now..Hard to tell by looking at the pics.

I will add one thing..
All the bickering is really uncalled for.
Fact is, you can try to help someone over the net, but the guy doing the work may not have enough mechanical experience, to understand when something is binding or getting ready to break.
No amount of internet "expertise" can teach someone about the "feel" of being a good mechanic.
Only hands on experience, can teach someone when something is not going together / coming apart correctly.
I dont give a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro what any Manual says.

Saul I can feel your love for airfoolers,and I know you are joking about the water-cooled trike comments, at least I hope you are.
If you really hate them that bad, then sell the project to someone who will like it.

One thing I do see absolutley childish here, is that line by line multi quote post breakdown of replies. Honestly, I can assemble a whole 250R engine, in the time it takes to break down a post sentence by sentence like that and reply to it.

It reminds me other forums, that loves to do that, which makes me want to smash my head right thru the friggin computer screen everytime I see it done..

As a matter of fact, if you decide to do that multi quote breakdown bullshit again, please send me that broken case so I can smash my PC to pieces with it.:lol:

AutoXer
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
that case would work very well for smashing a pc. I would recommend a wide steady swing with the force aimed just past the current pc's position . Pc should be unplugged and please wear proper safety attire. If pc requires another hit please keep in mind that there may be further metal fatigue where the metal in the case has failed

Saul
07-24-2009, 01:53 PM
I

One thing I do see absolutley childish here, is that line by line multi quote post breakdown of replies. Honestly, I can assemble a whole 250R engine, in the time it takes to break down a post sentence by sentence like that and reply to it.

Honestly - it takes all of 5 minutes, maybe, to reply to a post in such a manner - no different then adding underline and italics to a reply for emphasis.

Regardless of all of that - the case was brought to a local place this morning - they welded it up and I have it back now. It cost 12 bucks.

Was it a good job? I dunno - I'm not a welder. It's ugly enough.

Will it hold up once reassembled and filled with oil? hard to say, again - I'm not a welder. I hope it does - ugly or not, doesn't matter to me.

If it again starts to leak I'll just rip it apart again and get another case half when funds allow.

Again, thanks to all of those who really reached out to help and kept the attitudes curbed - I appreciate that a hell of a lot and only hope I can sometime return the favor and well wishes.

Peace. :beer

MonroeMike
07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I had a side (clutch) cover welded on a Virago many years ago, It was bad, laid down by the PO. It leaked "slightly" after assembly, from the weld. I took it back off, cleaned it the best I could and then coated the area with JB weld. I painted both covers with that black wrinkle finish spray paint. Never leaked again, for me at least.

fabiodriven
08-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I see no reason why this couldn't be welded. JB weld is good in it's own right, but this is not the place to use it. I know guys who could weld that no problem and it would be good as new. I understand what Mosh (I think) was saying about the counter shaft being off-center after you weld it, but that wouldn't stop me from trying. So it's been a week, what's the outcome?

oscarmayer
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
i've had many a part welded. the best way is to take it and soak it in defreaser, then take it to a shop to have it weldned. a good shop will wend the inside first and ensure i;s solid then work on t he outside. the inside will show all hairline cracks and fracturers where the outside will not. so ensure you do the inside first. soaking it in a some form of oil neutrilizer like maybe if you can find it bucket of carb cleaner or even get a gallon of that purple power an put it in a 5gallon bucket. out the part in it and let it soak. only foll the bucket with water enought to cover the part after you out all the purple power in it. purple power can lifta lot of the oils out of the pours.

Dirtcrasher
08-02-2009, 01:27 PM
This is what it looked like after the weld was ground down:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/AWESOME.jpg

Although I didn't see any pics of it immediately after welding, it doesn't look like it was done by a good TIG welder IMO......

plastikosmd
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
honestly, I havent had much luck with tig on engine cases...it is really freakin hard for me to get it clean 'enough'. The last block that I did was with arc and was very happy. A good nickel rod. This was pretty thick in some areas, I did (v) on both sides of split, even so it would have been tedious with the TIG. Just get it clean as you can, preheat-preheat-preheat, weld away and nice slow cool down, I like a bucket of perlite. (pics from other site)
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/3-1.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/finaltop.jpg

Dirtcrasher
08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
^ Thats cast iron though - correct??

I use to use the Nickel rod and an arc on the machines that got broke after the "riggers" moved them in :lol: Cast iron is a very difficult metal to deal with, I'd say even more so than cast aluminum. Partially because cast iron is usually very thick due to it's porosity and very hard to penetrate and when you do, that metal tweaks and turns like crazy!

I had a machinist local and that guy could do any aluminum (cast or billet) in about 3 minutes and his results didn't even need cleaning up. THATS the kind of guy you want to bring your cases to and have TIG welded.

I don't think these got welded by a competent welder (no offense to the repairman, he tried) but someone ATTACKED that weld with a right angle grinder after the weld so I don't imagine it was done very well.

I guess I should have said "Weld them, but do so with a trained competent welder".

Apparently I piss people off because I love trikes and because of there rarity, I want to see them repaired correctly. It's a losing battle though.............

plastikosmd
08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
my bad, it is ci. I wasnt thinking about the application. You are right, I prefer tig for alum because it is all I have. Mig setups for alum look fun. I have found sticking metal together is 25 % science, 25% art and 50% experience. Good luck