PDA

View Full Version : 200e bolt question + more

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Hey guys, just got an 83 200e... Chains popping off and has an oil leak... Heres the first question...

1.) What is the bolt that i circled in this picture (taken from bobbyg)? It is missing on my machine, just want to make sure its not a drain plug or something....

2.) The oil leak appears to be coming from the same spot as this picture almost but not as bad of a leak, it only sloooowly drips when off and a steadier drip when running.... Think its a seal, i don't see any cracks from the chain anywhere....

3.) Is the hose that runs directly out of the bottom of my carb just a drain hose? because there is gas coming out of it when ever the tank is switched to the "on" position and stops when switched to the "off" position...

Sorry about all the questions, just wanted to ask a few before i go out and pull the recoil and sub tranny and see what i can find on this oil leak... THANKS GUYS IN ADVANCE!!!!! :Bounce

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Prob help if i include the pic huh? LOL

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Also wondering if im just stipid or what, but the "chain tensioner" or whatever its called to tighten the chain seems to be rigged up?

I cant seem to figure why the chain does not tighten up when i crank on the bolt, when i take it off, its just a threaded nut on a bolt that goes through a "tab" on the frame... How do i do this am i doing it wrong? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lukeatc185
07-20-2009, 11:07 AM
your gears could be worn out to the point where it could be at max tension. but it still wont be enough. and that leak looks like its comming from a bolt on one of your cases. are the threads stripped?

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Nope, found the problem.... I guess the morons that i got it from where too high to put the new back sprocket on the correct way when they changed them both... LOL:shiftyeyes:

Looks like i have to get some work done, then on to the oil leak :-) i think its the oil seal behind the pull rope and/or sub tranny... :drool:

Gearheadtom
07-20-2009, 12:20 PM
It could be that your chain came off and cracked the case above that bolt, causing oil to leak.

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, im afraid of that, i am gonna start tearing the back apart first, then im going to see about the leak after, prob start it tonight....

I still cant figure out what that bolt was i circled in the picture, i can see that im missing it, but the leak is coming from above that bolt a bit, but it looks like when i stand over the top, that the leak also lines right up with that gasket as well :crazy:

Lukeatc185
07-20-2009, 12:46 PM
if it was cracked he should be able to find it easily. it could be that some of those bolts are stipped. or the case was damaged when it was removed if it was removed. i have seen people jam screw drivers trying to pry them apart. it just effs it up bad.

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, i figured, i didn't see any cracks but ill have to pull the sub tranny and pull start out of the way first to check it better...

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Well so far no cracks in the case i can see.... I pulled the recoil and the sub tranny, both gaskets where deteriorated beyond recognition... Both were missing chuncks, so i ordered some new ones, will replace that when they come and hope for the best...

I am correct that the sub tranny seal or the recoil seal could be a place of leakage right? Both have oil in them? Also ordered some brake shoes lol.... Will flip the sprocket after dinner... trailpro

Thorpe
07-20-2009, 04:36 PM
The drain hose on your carb, if you are having fuel leaking when the petcock is on, either you got a chunk of crap in the needle and seat, or your needle is bad, or floats are worn out and out of adjustment...

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks, i figured it would be my needles or a stuck float... I couldnt get on it and tell from riding since the chain is trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro lol

Lukeatc185
07-20-2009, 06:29 PM
your recoil should not have any oil inside. by recoil you mean the pullcord right? if you have oil in there you have a bad crank seal.

juggaloclownz18
07-20-2009, 07:35 PM
No theres no oil in there, i just re-read what i wrote and i meant only in the sub tranny, i was only referring to the recoil for needing a new gasket too...

Lukeatc185
07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
good good, lol saves you from alot more work.

juggaloclownz18
07-21-2009, 08:10 AM
won't be anymore work until the gasket kit gets here :-) If it doesn't hurry up, im gonna make my own gaskets LOL it would be nice if i could have saved the $35 for the kit, oh well :w00t:

juggaloclownz18
07-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Just to update, fixed the oil leak...

Also pulled the carb this morning and found the drain plug for the float bowl is broken, so i ordered a new one, that should clear up the gas leak!! The carb was pretty dirty but its shiny and spotless now :-) All the internals were still good no wear or damage, and the float was working real good, so it had to be the broken tip on the drain screw...

Now im just waiting for a new sprocket/chain and it should be good to go back together after i do the brakes and hopefully exhaust!

oscarmayer
07-25-2009, 01:02 PM
sweet! the one thing i hated about my 82-200e is the forks. i have tried many different trikes and the just don't fit. what I'm going to end up doing and taking an old 200x frame, cut the steering stem off and welding it to the 200e frame (after cutting that 1 off) then I am going to use my 250es front end that I took off it on the BR. with will give it much better and needed shocks as well as raise the front just a slight tad. maybe 1-2" raise total. Should be a sweet ride when done!! :) my stockers are 200e struts are so trashed the wobble in thge tubes. too dangerous to use anymore.

juggaloclownz18
07-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Well i guess the oil leak is not fixed, but everything else is....

Really want to get this trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro back together so i can ride it!! Ill be pulling the tank off and tipping it over to see what i can see under there, im hoping its just a gasket and not a crack in the case!!

oscarmayer
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
take a pic and show where's it's leaking from. i may be able to help.
also in my sig is a link ot a manual. factory repair manual. see if that doesn't help you some. don't jsut look at the main IPB but also look at the tiny photos. some times a page or 2 further is a detailed photo with info you need.

juggaloclownz18
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks oscar, i got the manual last week...

The leak is coming from the same spot as the picture on the first page. I think its one of the gaskets behind the tranny/crankcase area, so im going to replace both of those, i don't think i see a gasket in the one spot, i think someone didnt put one in there because the microfiche shows a gasket going there in the "spacer" area....

I could not find any cracks in the case from a chain coming off like it seems to be common, but ill look better once i get some of the stuff out of the way...

First i have to deal with a broken bolt that i found when i was taking it all apart, apparently someone snapped a bolt and just pushed it back into where it went, cause when i went to take it out, it just pulled right out, hope i can get the broken part out!!

juggaloclownz18
07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
The drain hose on your carb, if you are having fuel leaking when the petcock is on, either you got a chunk of crap in the needle and seat, or your needle is bad, or floats are worn out and out of adjustment...

This issue was the drain plug screw on the carb had the tip broken off of it... FIXED :p

oscarmayer
07-30-2009, 10:11 AM
SWEET!! now to fix that oil leak!

juggaloclownz18
07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know if i need a flywheel puller to get my flywheel out? It seems to be in the way of getting the other stuff off that i need out of the way to get to the gaskets that i need to replace...

oscarmayer
07-30-2009, 01:53 PM
yes you do. it's a pitta even with it. i also recommend using a impact to turn the puller. it'll put LESS pressure and less damage to it than trying to muscle it. I use an electric impact i purchased from sears about hrmm lets see back in 92. it's a craftsman 3/4 hp 1/2" drive impact. has worked on everythign i have since i had it. it costed me $87 w/tax back then and i got well more than i paid for out of it. if you want a good one get a craftsman!

juggaloclownz18
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Not sure if i was thinking of the right thing or not, but i made a picture....

I need to get Part A out of Part B so i can slide part B off to get to the gasket behind it, am i doing something wrong because i cannot break this bolt free without spinning the whole thing.... shens

juggaloclownz18
07-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Guess i was in too much of a hurry to attach the pic LOL

Lukeatc185
07-30-2009, 03:46 PM
hehe the flywheel nut, impact gun is the easyest, but if you only have a socket wrench get a pipe slide it over your socket wrench. i used very long screw drivers to wedge in the pull cord catch mounted on the flywheel, couple of cranks and it should come off. if you feel like your going to bend your socket wrench or the bike looks like its moving alot give up get an impact gun.

juggaloclownz18
07-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah thats what i thought it was, just wanted to make sure before i was calling it the wrong thing... Ill see what i can come up with...

After this nut comes off and the other stuff with it comes off then the tranny cover should slide off right? I need to replace that gasket and the one behind that (not the center but the other 2 gaskets) Or does the flywheel need to come off too?

This bolt is threaded normal right?

oscarmayer
07-30-2009, 09:32 PM
read the manual! :P i forgot off the top of my head. lol. sorry.

juggaloclownz18
07-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Yeah, the manual sucks! I figured it out though, just waiting for my buddy to bring over the right puller then it will all come apart, i got the bolt and stuff out, just need the flywheel out of the way now. That will be tonights project... :beer

oscarmayer
07-31-2009, 09:25 AM
cool! repalce all those seals while it's appart. I liek to use some hi-temp rtv seal on the outside of the seals when installign them, it does 2 things, helps it slide into palce easier w/o damaging it, and helsp to have sure it seals against the part better.

juggaloclownz18
07-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, i got the Vesrah complete gasket kit, so ill replace any gaskets that i run into...

As far as the black round "engine oil seal" kit its an extra $35 that i don't have right now, and they all apear to have possibly been replaced since they look new, but i know the gaskets are bad for sure, and one between cases was missing all together so i know that has to be where the leak is coming from, still see no chain cracks in the case so thats really good, just keeping the fingers crossed still! :D