PDA

View Full Version : 83 R Carb HELP PLease!!

freestylejunki3
07-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Well i finally got all the parts on my 83 R. Running a Bassani??? head pipe and a DG Type II silencer. When i starteed the engine up it ran great at idle. Runs great up to half throttle then bogs/dies after that. If i leave the choke on it will rev up to WOT, but will not idle. Im thinking the jets are incorrect as i got the motor and carborator from California and i live in NewHampshire (600 ft above sea level). Can anybody help me diagnose what might be wrong. I am not new to mechanics but am completely new to jetting. Thanks
-Chris

shortline10
07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
If you have to run the choke to make it rev up it needs a larger main jet or the main jet could be dirty ?

freestylejunki3
07-17-2009, 07:08 PM
The main jet is a 130...stock and the correct size for my elevation according to my honda repair manual. Also, i blew out all of the jets thinking that they might be clogged. If i change the needle pin position to be lower, will that help it richen up the high end??

Saul
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Always jet for WOT 1st - work back down.

If having the choke on 'helps' at WOT then that is an obvious sign you are running lean at WOT. Running lean either because A. Too small main jet or B. you're getting air leaks somewhere in the system.

Remember, you're running an aftermarket pipe - so stock jetting is now thrown out the window.

freestylejunki3
07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Well there is a stock 130 main jet in it now. What should i go up to? a 132 or 135... how much is an aftermarket pipe and silencer going to affect the jetting?

freestylejunki3
07-18-2009, 01:52 PM
OK, i went out and bough 5 jets today (132, 135, 138, 140, 142). After a thourough cleaning of the carb again, i installed the 142 thinking i would start rich and work my way down. 142 was WAY to rich. So i tried 135. Still to rich. Next i put in the 132, 1 size larger than stock. Still to rich. WTF. Then i put the stock jet back in, and now it will rev up all the way but is very slugginsh and blubbery. Now it wont idle at all either even with the idle screw all the way in. Took the airfilter off and it ran better. Even better still when going fast leading me to beleive that i need to go down in jet size to lean it. However that is what i dont understand. I thought that because of a free flowing exhaust i would need to richen it to compensate???