PDA

View Full Version : plug fouling

ehally
07-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey there, I am new to the site. Here is my problem I have a 82 200atc, and it keeps fouling the plug, there not wet but really black. I started looking at the carb and it looks like the needle for the air adjustment is gone and there is a bolt in its place. Could this be an issue, or is there something Iam missing? Any advice would be awsome! Thanks Erik

Erics350x
07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
that mixture screw is at least part of your problem

Thorpe
07-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Time for a new carb...

FourtyCaliber
07-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, I agree with Thorpe, that the threads in the pilot screw hole where the bolt is now, are more than likely damaged and the carb will have to be replaced. You can check it and see for yourself. If the threads aren't damaged, maybe you can get a rebuild kit for it, clean it out thoroughly, make sure the jets haven't been drilled out, clean all the passageways with carb cleaner and run a small diameter wire through them carefully to clear any obstructions, and blow compressed air through all of the openings of the carb and make sure the air exits out of another port somewhere on the carb. Replace any missing parts not in the rebuild kit, and see where that gets you. You might have as much money going that route as just getting a new carb. You can pick up those cheapy China ones on eBay pretty cheap. But they're no Keihin like the trike originally came with. You'll pay more for that one if you can find one. Check the air filter element, too. It may be dirty and plugged up which will cause the engine to run rich. If someone did that kind of rigging on the carb with a bolt in the mixture screw hole, my question is what other kinds of things have been done to it? Download a copy of the Service Manual if you can find one or just buy one. Or, check your library for a repair manual. Check and adjust the valves. Install a new spark plug.

ehally
07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
thanks guys! I took the carb out and cleaned it up. We have a honda parts store close and they had everything i needed. It still fouled a plug later that week and the guy at the honda shop said I could also try a hotter plug? Any what is a good a gap for that plug? Iam running NGK right now?