PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r Brake problem

Kintore
07-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Hey guys,

my 250r has a problem. Not sure if this is normal or not.

I can put the brakes on and I can roll my machine a inch or so each way before it locks up complety.

its the one inch im worried about, is this normal due to the fact its a floating caliper?

or is something messed up on my beloved banana

Xowner
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
kintore check the caliper hold mount where the peg catches it on the swinger. Watch there as you have somone hold the brakes and rocks it. also make sure all the bolts are tight. you gotta find out where the play is first. If everything is tight there are only two places it can be , etheir the floating pin or on the brake stay mount.

Mosh
07-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Axlenuts are probably loose. Or the splines on the rotor hub are worn out.
Grab your rotor and see if it rocks on the axle splines.
If so, try to tighten the axle nut and see if the rotor stops moving.

If so RUN IT..

And check that caliper bracket peg like Xowner said.

Kintore
07-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Ok guys, I did what you said. and the play is coming from the floating part of the caliper.

The pin that comes off the swinger to center the caliper (brake stay mount???) is where I get a little bit of play.

If that makes any sense.

atctim
07-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Josh - I think that is somewhat normal. the brake stays are always a little loose. not sure if when they were new they were tight or not (I'm sure somewhat tighter) but all of mine have some play back there.

Xowner
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
josh is this the part that has the play in it?

http://i.ebayimg.com/20/!BV-P9cQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-C4EjlLl0-E2BKVNpUFz0!~~_1.JPG

does yours have the bushing on the swinger? if not you will have play in it

Dirtcrasher
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
IDK how much I can add to this topic but:

I'd jack up and support the rear end and have someone tap the brake while you watch and spin the wheel.

Like the other guys said, the slide pins should be free. You race anyhow and I'd imagine you take them apart and lube them with silicone grease once in awhile anyhow....

There is always slop in that caliper mount/stay bracket but it just takes up the slack when you nail the brake so it shouldn't be a big deal.

But, if you haven't touched anything recently??, the mounting bolts are super close to hitting the disc and thats just how it is. I think your probably just missing something really simple. From what you said, IDT it's a piston related/binding issue, it almost sounds like a tip of a bolt or something is hitting somewhere. Regardless, I think if you watch it and dick with it enough you'll figure it out and it will end up being something you smack yourself upside the head about :D

Let us know bud :beer

Kintore
07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Yah, X thats exactly what is sliding around.

I checked it out and it just moves on the "pin" on the swingarm back and forth till the bracket (you posted) hits the pin and then it will lock up no problem.

Am I ok? Can I say screw it and run it?

not sure if pin is the right word to use here, not sure what else to call it.

Xowner
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
yah its no big deal. it will wear out in a long time but if you wanted to fix it buy the busing and the c clip and holds it on the pin on the swinger and fix it the right way

Kintore
07-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks alot X!

you da man!

Billy Golightly
07-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Mine was the same way till I bought the bushing. By that time though the hole was egged out and it still did it to a certain extent. Not nearly as bad of course, but noticeable.

Dammit!
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh ffs Josh just fix it. :lol:

Kintore
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
haha now im not going too just for you Doug!