//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New Aussie member

--

New Aussie member

Hi all

I first started out on Honda trikes back in the 80's. My first was an ATC90 of which I bought another 3-4. I ended up with one with an aftermarket frame and ATC90 engines bored and stroked, initially at 180cc then later at 250cc using an XR125 crankshaft and XL175 head and barrel with a big bore kit, running a 750/4 carby.

Later on I built an XL185S into a fully suspended trike and also an ATC185S into a fully suspended trike running an XL250S engine.

I always wanted to build one up out of an XR500, but life sort of got in the way.

About 5 years ago I bought a rolling 1982 ATC250R to use to convert a more modern bike, but it always bothered me how small the forks were and the rear suspension never attracted me much.

However this week I picked up a full front end (except front wheel tyre) off a 1986 ATC250R. Plus the swingarm, rear axle and brakes off the same bike.

Been doing some measuring and I think I'm going to convert a DRZ400E or DRZ400S.

I think I'll keep the whole frame and rear suspension. maybe lower the shock top mount an inch or use a longer shock, and just modify the front of the ATC250R swingarm so it replicates the DRZ one. I'll just use the ATC250R triple clamps and modify them to take the stalk off the DRZ. The DRZ has a removable subframe, so unless I find a better alternative I might just cut the back off the 1982 frame I have and turn it into a subframe and use the rear plastic and seat off the '82.

WIll of course have to strip a lot of the DRZ wiring and just keep the electric start, headlight and tail-light and adapt the DRZ rear brake master cyl to operate the ATC rear caliper. And other similar stuff like get the handbrake working, wider pegs and whatever else comes up.

Will just get a white DRZ tank and make it look like a 1985 ATC350X except water cooled. Not sure jet how to get red DRZ radiator plastics but might be able to modify some off a 350X or 250R.

Suggestions welcome!

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Welcome! Sounds like you will have lots of fab work on this build.
    Hopefully you can occasionally update the thread with photos of your build progression.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Thanks mate. I'll create a thread as I do it. I started one of sorts in the Trikesylvania area, will add stuff there:

https://www.3wheelerworld.com/showth...ATC-250R-parts

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //